Your CV or resume is in effect your personal selling document. So what are my 5 key tips for refreshing your CV?
1. Start with a personal profile that pulls out the 5-6 bullet points that gets a potential employer interested
2. Focus on what you have achieved in each job that you have had rather than your responsibilities
3. Put your education towards the end of the CV. Employers are interested in what you have done. If you are applying for a job that requires a professional qualification and you hold that qualification, put your designatory letters after your name
4. Keep hobbies and interests brief
5. Exclude references as these are for later in the process
Since 2006 I’ve worked with in excess of 6,000 accountants and professionals in workshops, seminars and one to one helping them land their next jobs and become better leaders, presenters and business partners. Before that I spent 25 years in accountancy climbing the career ladder from Payments Clerk to FD. I’m a CIMA Fellow, Certified Professional Coach and Team Coach Facilitator.