One of the biggest challenges you will face as a leader is staying motivated and motivating others. People often believe that there is some magic potion around motivation but the reality is that it can be tough.
Self motivation is key as a leader, so how might you do it:
1. Set yourself personal goals for each day
2. Stay in a positive frame of mind
3. Try to avoid long discussions with people who are negative
4. Get use to looking at different perspectives
5. Celebrate successes – you could even record these
Being self motivated is not about wandering about with a huge smile on your face but having the determination to keep pushing on even when times are tough.
If you think that cracking the whip is the way to motivating then you are way off the mark. Some of the simplest things are the most powerful:
1. Make time to interact with others
2. Listen to their concerns
3. Help them to explore different perspectives
4. Acknowledge a job done well
5. Say thank you!
A good rule of thumb is to ask yourself how you would like to be treated as this will often guide you in difficult times.
Since 2006 I’ve worked with in excess of 7,000 accountants and professionals in workshops, seminars and one to one helping them land their next jobs and become better leaders, presenters and business partners. Before that I spent 25 years in accountancy climbing the career ladder from Payments Clerk to FD. I’m a CIMA Fellow, Certified Professional Coach and Team Coach Facilitator.