Many organisations have set up appraisals systems. Those that are most effective include 360 degree feedback. So what is 360 degree feedback and how can you start to put it in place?
360 Degree Feedback
The basic concept behind 360 feedback is getting views from those that manage you, those in your peer group and those that you manage. The idea is to get a rounded picture of your performance from a number of different sources in order to build up a picture of your strengths and development needs. In a well designed 360 feedback process you will also complete your own self assessment.
When you are first faced with the possibility of 360 feedback it can be daunting. The reality is very different. You discover:
1. Qualities that you never even noticed in yourself
2. People are delighted to have the opportunity to contribute to your growth
3. You are often your biggest critic and people think much more highly of you than you do
4. Where greatest benefit will be derived from your personal development activities as you will know where to focus your attention
5. You have many more strengths than you have development needs
Setting up 360 Feedback
There are a range of options open to you and one consideration will be financial. At the most basic level, you can send out an e-mail to people. Another alternative is to use software of there is a system in your company. There are also options to use technology even if your company does not have its own computer package. A Google search will identify some options.
In terms of those that you ask for feedback:
1. Aim for about 10-15 people
2. Have a range of managers, peers and subordinates
3. Choose some people who you anticipate will give you a high rating
4. Choose some people who you will anticipate will give you a low rating
5. Choose some people who you are unclear as to how they will rate you
When carrying out your own self assessment:
1. Don’t forget to recognise your strengths
2. Be honest with yourself
3. See weaknesses as an opportunity for development
Go on give it a try and see the power of 360 degree feedback for yourself.
Since 2006 I’ve worked with in excess of 7,000 accountants and professionals in workshops, seminars and one to one helping them land their next jobs and become better leaders, presenters and business partners. Before that I spent 25 years in accountancy climbing the career ladder from Payments Clerk to FD. I’m a CIMA Fellow, Certified Professional Coach and Team Coach Facilitator.