We all have experienced times when we were part of a great team and there are other times when we struggle along in isolation.
You might even have heard the phrase
Of course talking in abstract about teams and actually leveraging the potential of teams is often a whole lot different.
Perhaps when you think about it that is not such a big surprise. After all for a large part of our life we are in competition. It starts in school, it continues with college and job interviews.
On the other hand there are many benefits of embracing the potential of teams.
In my experience there are 6 main benefits of team working:
- More creativity leading to more ideas and better results.
- Increased employee satisfaction
- The opportunity to develop and acquire new skills
- The speed at which things can be achieved
- A sounding board for testing out ideas and thoughts
- A support network that you can draw on
Of course it’s vital that you also create the type of environment that supports and rewards good team working.
In the world now where as a result of coronavirus, the value of teams is even greater. Not least because of the need to change and adapt, often at speeds we never thought were possible.
So ask yourself:
- What value would better team working bring?
- Do you really embrace team working?
- Do you create the type of environment that gets the best from teams?
- What one thing could you do right now to get better results from your team?
The good news is that even the smallest step forward is likely to yield big benefits, especially when under pressure to deliver more with less resources.