As a leader and manager you understand that to get the results that you are truly capable of you need to make best use of all the assets and resources at your disposal.
Despite this every manager every leader and manager does some dumb things that actually prevents them from getting the best results from the assets and resources at their disposal. Here is my top 21.
1. Assume everyone is like them and motivated by the same things as them.
2. Lose sight of what life is really like on the frontline or at the coal face
3. Bask in the glory when it all goes well
4. Blame and criticise when it all goes wrong
5. Dish out instructions and orders rather than work on getting buy-in
6. Talk about people’s weaknesses behind their backs rather than helping them address their weaknesses
7. Avoid taking decisions in the false belief that things will get easier later
8. Make promises they cannot deliver on
9. Saying things will be fine and work out okay when they don’t know if that will be the case
10. Thinking they can do it all by themselves
11. Filling the schedule with things to do and not making time for people
12. Not explaining their rationale for the decisions they make
13. Treating employees as numbers rather than people
14. Stopping people from taking any risks
15. Creating procedures and process that discourage innovation or proactive action
16. Not listening to anyone but themselves
17. Showing their frustrations when things are not going well
18. Dumping the pressure on others when they are under pressure
19. Fail to recognise that if they help others succeed then they will achieve more success
20. Forget to say thank you
21. Get lost in their own problems and challenges
What other dumb things do you notice leaders and managers doing that get in the way of their success?
Duncan Brodie of Goals and Achievements helps professional people to become highly effective leaders and managers. Learn more here
Since 2006 I’ve worked with in excess of 8,000 accountants and professionals in workshops, seminars and one to one helping them land their next jobs and become better leaders, presenters and business partners. Before that I spent 25 years in accountancy climbing the career ladder from Payments Clerk to FD. I’m a CIMA Fellow, Certified Professional Coach and Team Coach Facilitator.